If you love wearing jewelry every day, the following information is for keeping your pretty treasures looking like new. These general tips should help keep your pieces looking gorgeous for a long time.
- For fashion and costume jewelry, wipe pieces with a clean, damp cloth, and then dry with a soft, clean, absorbent cloth. Only use jewelry cleaners specifically designed for fashion/costume jewelry. Hot water or other chemicals should be avoided when cleaning costume jewelry. Avoid soaking for prolonged periods in water or exposing to extreme heat, steamers or ultrasonic cleaners.
- Ingredients commonly found in hairspray, mousse, lotions, perfume, makeup, shaving cream, and soap can leave behind a residue and create a dull film that's difficult to remove. To prevent buildup and avoid damage, remove all jewelry before bathing and grooming and avoid bringing pieces into contact with beauty products. Do not wear jewelry in chlorinated water or when working with household chemicals.
- Ensure that any jewelry is completely dry before storing. Store each piece in a cool, dry place in its own container or compartment to avoid scratching. Store sterling silver pieces preferably in a tarnish-preventive bag or wrapped in a soft piece of felt or cloth. Make sure your sterling silver is not exposed to air and light during storage, which can cause silver tarnish.
- Clean sterling silver jewelry with a mild soap and water solution, allowing the water to bead up, then pat dry with a soft cloth. For more stubborn dirt or tarnish, use a jewelry cleaner designed for use with sterling silver. Do not rub sterling silver with anything other than a polishing cloth or a fine piece of felt.
- To maintain the luster of your luxury Avon jewelry, a soft chamois cloth is an effective way to keep your pieces lustrous and shiny. You can remove tarnish on gold pieces with a jewelry-cleaning agent, or simply by using dish soap and water (mixed with a few drops of ammonia). Avoid full strength ammonia as this can cause cracking. Carefully, brush with a soft bristle brush or old toothbrush. After brushing, rinse with lukewarm water and allow to dry.
- For certain gold jewelry, an ultrasonic cleaning machine may be appropriate. However, such machines can damage some jewelry, especially pieces containing pearls and certain colored gemstones. Seek a jeweler's advice if unclear.
Purchase $50 or more of Avon jewelry through youravon.com/nrago* and I'll personally send a "thank-you gift" of either an Avon Jewelry Cleaner or Jewelry & Watch Care Cloth to use on your new jewelry purchases.
*Jewelry "thank-you gift" offer, valued at $12.99, valid only at youravon.com/nrago and starts 12/22/16 until 01/22/17.